Friday, March 20, 2009

books and cookies - enough said

It was snowing this morning, and this afternoon I saw yellow daffodils in Central Park. Seriously, what is up with this crazy weather? I have always been a dedicated four season-er, but I am about ready to throw away my winter coat and move to Hawaii. Luckily, last night was just fine, so I made it to my first ever book signing weather delay-free and even 20 minutes early. Which was good, because Idlewild Books, an independent and travel bookstore near Union Square, is not a big place, and Molly Wizenberg, author of the blog Orangette and the new book "A Homemade Life," is a very popular person. By the time the reading started, it was standing room only.

Orangette was one of the first food blogs I ever read, and it remains among my favorites. At the time I discovered it I was working many hours a day on a cavernous, fluorescent trading floor, sitting slumped in a swivel chair and staring at a screen. Reading Orangette, with its stories of real food handmade with love and care, was like entering a wish-fulfillment fantasy, the perfect antidote to three meals a day eaten at my desk. It also helped get me back in the kitchen - so many of Molly's recipes sounded too good to not make, and they all seemed reasonable for a novice cook to attempt on her free weekends. Some of these recipes I've since adopted as staples in my own repertoire: her oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies and banana bread with cinnamon sugar gained a loyal following among my coworkers, while the warm chickpea salad is my favorite easy supper.

So when I read that Molly would be coming to New York on her book tour, I knew that I would go. And I'm really glad I did. Not only do I now have my first-ever autographed book, which is sitting proudly on my bookshelf, I also enjoyed hearing Molly speak and read from her book. (Which is wonderful, by the way. Just carry Kleenex, especially if you're reading it in public. I inadvertently read a very sad chapter on the subway on the way to school, which led to me sniffing loudly and wiping tears from my eyes as I stumbled through the Broadway-Lafayette station. Not the best way to start a school day.)

Good writers have the ability to take a feeling or an idea and wrap it up in an accessible package, to put a name on the ineffable. And occasionally when you read or hear their take on something, you think "yes! that is what I meant to say, but I didn't know how." Molly did this beautifully last night when she said that food is a tangible way of getting at intangible things. I think she's absolutely right, and I think that's why cooking for ourselves and others can be so satisfying. Food isn't just about what tastes good. It's also about memory and family and emotion, about who we are and who we have been and who we want to be.

One of the questions Molly fielded last night was to name her top five recipes from the blog. She cited broccoli soup and cabbage with hot sauce, celeri remoulade and David Leite's chocolate chip cookies from the New York Times.

These are all good, but for my money, the best recipe on there is the one I've made the most - the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. It was the first recipe I made when I got a KitchenAid stand mixer last spring, and I've been known to make a triple batch for special occasions. The dough can be refrigerated for up to three days or frozen for longer, and the cookies can even be frozen after baking - they're surprisingly chewy and delicious straight from the freezer, especially in hot weather. The link to her recipe is above, I'll add only that I usually make it with 1/2 whole wheat flour, chopped-up dark chocolate bars can be a great substitute for semisweet chips, and letting the dough rest in the refrigerator for a day or two, a la David Leite, can yield some pretty delicious results. Hope you enjoy!

p.s. If you're ever in the vicinity of Union Square, definitely stop by Idlewild - it's a great store, with an interesting selection of books and a unique cataloguing method- travel books and literature are all arranged by destination, i.e. France. So you can find Colette sharing shelf space with the Michelin guide to Paris, or The Quiet American near Lonely Planet Vietnam. As an added bonus, there's a great wine store across the street called Bottlerocket Wines. Bottlerocket is worth a visit for two reasons: 1) it's organized into user-friendly thematic displays, and all the wines and spirits have helpful blurbs and a store rating. 2) It's owned by a Williams alum, who hosted an alumni tasting at the store earlier this year. So you can find the perfect wine with ease and support another Eph - a win-win situation!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Liz,

    Thank you for your kind words about Bottlerocket! Everyone on the team appreciates your enthusiasm.

    And we agree that Idlewild is a fantastic addition to the neighborhood. David does a fantastic job. It's a must-visit for book lovers.

    Thanks again,

    Tom Geniesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Hayley, your awesome plated desserts partner :)

    I'll have to try those oatmeal cookies. Were those the ones you brought to class or were they the Baked ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any updates from the BBL team? Been a while, I guess graduation has you spoiled now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I have now made these for the second time substituting in the wheat flour and leaving it in the fridge for about 36 hours. The result was, according to Jack, a million times better

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, I'm so glad you like them my way :)
    I've heard you can also freeze the dough, and keep it around even longer. would be perfect for those cookie emergencies, though I'm not sure I could trust myself to wait to bake it!

    ReplyDelete